Protein shakes as the name suggests are rich in protein which is a macro nutrient that is essential in the body for the overall growth and development of muscles and tissues. It is defined as the building blocks of muscles. Apart from being an essential building block, protein is also a vital source of fuel for the body, it contributes to the maintenance of bones, it contributes to the growth and maintenance of lean muscle mass.
Experts recommended protein shakes for individuals who are engaged in strenuous activities such as body building and other sporting events. Protein shakes can be recommended for individuals who are looking to lose weight too.
Below are types of protein shakes and their benefits:
Whey protein shake
This is a mixture of proteins which have been isolated from whey, which is the liquid part of milk and is usually separated during the making of cheese. Whey protein shakes helps the body to build muscles, organs, skin, hormones, enzymes and neurotransmitters among others.
It is highly recommended to individuals who are involved in athletics, those who exercise to build their muscles and those looking to lose weight.
- Contains the fundamental blocks for building muscles
- It’s loaded with essential amino acids
- Helps to increase anabolic hormone production
- The body absorbs it quickly therefore performing its function fast
- It helps in increasing muscle mass and weight loss as well.
Soy protein shake
This is derived from plants and it is suitable for those who are vegans. Experts define it as a complete protein since it contains all amino acids that are essential for human nutrition. It’s popular among women and studies have shown that women who consume soy protein shake can prevent postmenopausal women from gaining fat around their hips and waist. As a plant based protein which is derived from plants, it’s safe for consumption with minimal or no side effects present.
- It’s rich in amino acids that are essential for the nutrition of the body
- It helps to alleviate menopausal symptoms
- It helps postmenopausal women not to gain fat around the abdomen area
- It’s positive effects help in increasing bone density for women
- It helps to lower cholesterol therefore preventing risks of heart disease
- It helps to boost one’s immunity
Casein protein shake
This is a slow absorbing protein that is also derived from milk and it’s the main protein found in milk. Its slow absorbing ability makes the protein shake perfect for consumption when one is going to bed and for those who are involved in weight training goals.
The protein shake is available in different flavors therefore making it easy for one to choose any flavor they want.
- It’s a complete protein source
- It’s useful as an appetite suppressor therefore helps individuals to lose weight since they will feel full and have no need to overeat.
- It’s a rich source of calcium which is beneficial to the teeth and the bones
- It’s perfect for athletes, vegetarians, body builders and recreational exercisers
- It helps to promote colon health
In conclusion, protein shakes are vital to those individuals who are engaged in body building, athletics, those who are looking to lose weight and recreational exercisers. Whey and casein are types of protein shakes derived from milk and are highly beneficial to an individual in several ways. Whey is loaded with essential amino acids, helps to increase anabolic hormone production, contains the building blocks for muscles and helps to increase one’s muscles. Soy helps to alleviate menopausal symptoms, boosts one’s immunity, lowers one’s cholesterol and increases bone density in women.
What’s the next step? Why not take a look at our suggestions for the best blender for protein shakes and blend one up now!